Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kristyn in the house: My first trip to House of Blues Myrtle Beach

Relient K rocked the House of Blues Tuesday night. I'm so glad I was in the audience for this one.
Photo and video by Kristyn Winch
I've been a concert fanatic since I was in the 6th grade. It started out with one a year, two a year and then, I lost count. I've been to at least three big shows this year, and the fun will just keep on rolling.

I've been dreaming of attending a show at House of Blues Myrtle Beach for a long time. A lot of the acts that play the venue didn't make the trip to my Upstate South Carolina/Charlotte, N.C. market, and my parents said driving over four hours from Spartanburg to see a show in Myrtle Beach was just too much effort.

Now that I live in Myrtle Beach,  I'm only 30 minutes away from Barefoot Landing and HOB. I finally walked through the doors of the concert venue Tuesday night to see The Rocketboys, The Almost and Relient K. I'd seen the headliner several years ago at The Orange Peel in Asheville, but this was an entirely different experience.

The venue is absolutely beautiful. Charming folk art on the walls gives the place a Southwestern vibe. Though there is limited seating, the sprawling stage is visible from nearly anywhere in the house. Many indoor venues that are standing-room only get stuffy during packed shows in summer months, but the air conditioning was working wonderfully Tuesday night. If you need to turn your back from the stage, the venue makes every effort to make sure you don't miss much. You could here the bands playing loud and clear if you needed to run to the bathroom and watch a live feed of the show while ordering a drink at the bar.

The music was phenomenal. That's why I went, after all. I was exposed to some new sounds and old favorites, and the show rocked on for more than three hours. Check out my video for a glimpse at Relient K's set.

In addition to the main concert hall, the House of Blues hosts live bands and DJs regularly on The Deck, the venue's outdoor bar. While I did not get to experience this part of the place, I'd definitely come back to check it out.

Overall, I was really pleased with my first show at HOB, and I'm sure I'll be back for another show very soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment