Friday, July 26, 2013

Local fish and natural beauty

Graham's Landing in Murrells Inlet pleases guests with maritime charm, a waterfront view and a bounty of local fish. 
We have been hard at work putting together the August edition of Visit! and can’t wait for you to pick up a copy when it hits stands next week.


While I’ve been busy at the office, I’ve still made time for adventures around town.

A few weeks ago, I had a chance to explore the Grand Strand’s south end. I had heard about the natural beauty I could find in Georgetown County and had seen pictures of the wildlife there, but so far, my beach living experience has been taking place in the more centralized tourist spots around Myrtle Beach.

Visit! editor Heather Gale and I had planned a trip to Brookgreen Gardens to check out the Cool Summer Evenings concert series. Former “American Idol” contestant and Coastal Carolina alum Elise Testone was taking the stage that week.

It had been a rather rainy morning that Friday, but we were feeling adventurous and decided to brave the weather and check out Brookgreen Gardens anyway. I am so very glad we did, as the sky cleared up for an evening of fantastic music.  (Check out Heather’s post about Brookgreen here.)

Before the concert, we stopped for dinner at a delightful waterfront restaurant in Murrells Inlet. Graham’s Landing, which opened last August, is inside a quaint log house off Hwy. 17 Business. With an old-fashioned porch that wraps around the entire building and twinkling Christmas lights illuminating the entrance, it’s clear the restaurant has charm before you even walk inside. Once you step through the doors, it only gets better. The walls are decorated with South Carolina and maritime artwork, including large metal fish, and the wait staff greets you with smiles and excellent service. We dined around 6 p.m. on a Friday night, and the place was buzzing with big groups and couples alike as friends met up for a few drinks at the bar and families sat for dinner on the outdoor patio. 

I’ve been a fan of seafood for as long as I can remember, so getting fresh, local fish has been one of my favorite things about living at the beach. The menu at Graham’s Landing is filled with tasty options. I chose the fried flounder platter and was satisfied with the flakey, tender delight that was presented to me. I do wish I tried the shrimp and grits, which our waitress highly recommended, but that just means I’ll have to make a return trip.

My dinner: fried flounder, fresh green beans and a twice-baked potato.
Murrells Inlet’s claim to fame is its scenic marsh, filled with wildlife and lush greenery. Whether they are sitting on the back porch or near the back of the restaurant, patrons can get a good look at nature while enjoying their meals at Graham’s Landing. From the swaying grass to the majestic white birds keeping watch on the water, it’s a sight to behold.

Graham’s Landing is open from 11:30 a.m. until…but the kitchen closes at 10 p.m. The restaurant is located at 5225 Hwy. 17 Business in Murrells Inlet. Graham’s Landing is closed on Sundays. In addition to dining in, take out and catering are available. Visit grahamslandingmurrellsinlet.com or call 843-947-0520 for more information.


Read my full story on Graham’s Landing in the August issue of Visit! or online now at mbvisit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment