Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Carolina baseball and a pineapple martini

A great place to grab a drink and watch some baseball. Photos by Kristyn Winch

Like pretty much every living, breathing human being, I love food. Being able to write about where and what I eat for Visit! is definitely one of the best parts of my job.

For my first food assignment, I went to Greg Norman's Australian Grille at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach. It's a swanky, fine dining restaurant owned by...a pro golfer? 

That's right. The owner and namesake has been golfing professionally since 1976, with 89 professional wins under his belt. He’s earned the nickname The Great White Shark, and his signature four-color shark logo can be seen on gear in his sportswear collection as well as throughout the design concept for the restaurant.

Greg Norman has his own line of fine wines, and the restaurant specializes in upscale cuisine like salmon and steak. My post-grad budget couldn't handle dinner here on a regular basis, but an affordable lunch menu and great happy hour deals are delightful and certainly something I'd come back for again.

I stopped by Greg Norman's during a Sunday afternoon stroll through Barefoot Landing, a shopping, dining and entertainment hot spot in North Myrtle Beach. As my beloved Gamecocks were playing an afternoon game, I took the opportunity to catch the action while sipping on a pineapple martini and enjoying the delectable fried cheese ravioli (a gooey, creamy mozzarella stick-like appetizer). 

During commercial breaks, I admired the restaurant's decor: bright red walls, a mural of an Australian outback scene and gorgeous framed Aboriginal artwork. The large metal panels hanging from the bar, depicting fish and plant life, are stunning, too. 

I finished the last sip of my tropical beverage as the ninth inning came to a close (what a game! Too bad we didn't pull out a win like that on Tuesday) and went on with my day with a brighter spirit and plans to return soon.

For my full story on Greg Norman's Australian Grille, pick up our July issue of Visit! at the end of this month. In the meantime, check out some stories from our current issue over at mbvisit.com now. 

Photos by Kristyn Winch


No comments:

Post a Comment