Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Monster squirrels and millions of throws

Well, at least I look graceful. This was throw 10 for this target. In my defense, the tee was 85 yards from the basket.

Myrtle Beach is a major golf destination for tourists year-round. But did you know that disc golf was taking off here as well?

For the July issue of Visit!, I'm working on a review of the disc golf course at Tupelo Bay Golf Center. I'm not exactly "athletic," but I expected the sport to be fairly easy.


I was so wrong.  I’m glad the course wasn’t too crowded when I went to play on Friday because I would have provided equal parts comedy and annoyance to fellow disc golfers. My editor came along for the adventure. She was definitely better at disc golf than me, but she was patient with my terrible skills and only laughed at me a few times. 


Disc golf is very similar to ball golf, except players use flying discs (like Frisbees) instead of balls and aim for above-ground chain baskets instead of holes in the green. Like traditional golf, the targets are far away from the area where you tee off — which made the game very difficult for me. I can barely throw a Frisbee ten feet, so getting one to fly 105 yards took a lot of effort. Since the course is Par 3, players should be able to get their discs in the target in three throws. Ha. Not me. It took me a minimum of six throws to sink a shot, sometimes as many as 11.



If you decide to play at Tupelo Bay, be careful where you throw your discs. Some targets are extremely close to wooded areas, and the creatures that call the property home aren’t exactly cute. While at Tupelo Bay, I encountered a small, furry animal that looked like a cross between a squirrel and a raccoon. The first time I saw him, he was perched on top of a trashcan and ready to pounce. On our next run-in, he was attempting to burrow into the green.

Definitely wear proper footwear, too. I played my round of disc golf in sandals and left with grass and sand stuck to the soles of my blistered feet. Plus, my lack of tennis shoes made me think twice before chasing my runaway disc into the bushes. I didn’t want one of those creepy woodland dwellers to bite one of my toes off.


Due to my poor skills, it took about an hour to play nine holes. More experienced players could probably run through the course much faster.

I am living proof that you don't have to be an expert to enjoy a round of disc golf. You just may want to  practice before your next round. 

Want to hear more about my disc golf adventure? Be sure to pick up the July edition of Visit! or check it out here


I got the discs in somehow. It wasn't easy.
Photos by Heather Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment